Network for Regional Healthcare Improvement
The Network for Regional Healthcare Improvement (NRHI) is a national organization representing Regional Health Improvement Collaboratives (RHICs) and affiliate partners working to transform the healthcare delivery system and improve the health of populations – locally and nationally.
From its offices in Maine and Washington, DC, NRHI provides education, leadership, and connections to its members.
We envision a world where local leaders work effectively together to improve the patient experience of care, improve the health of populations, and reduce the cost trend in the communities we serve.
We are here to activate and support Regional Health Improvement Collaboratives by:
- Increasing collaboration and shared learning within and across communities;
- Providing thought leadership and technical expertise on community-level improvement;
- Delivering solutions that help communities succeed.
NRHI members have different structures and operate in different markets but share common goals and priorities and adhere to the following shared principles:
1. The status quo of our healthcare system is not acceptable in terms of its quality, safety or cost. Though we are inclusive, neutral conveners of stakeholders, we are not neutral on the need for change.
2. We strive for win-win solutions recognizing that change is required by all. No single stakeholder group can ‘fix’ healthcare – it is the coordinated work of all stakeholders that will achieve transformation. Likewise no stakeholder group is to ‘blame’ for current system failings. Coordinated and aligned action is needed.
3. We promote and actively pursue transparency of healthcare cost, quality, patient experience, and outcomes. We believe that transparent and reliable information is foundational to change. Every stakeholder needs fair and meaningful access to complete information to improve and evaluate performance and to redesign current practices.
4. We believe the best solutions come from multi-stakeholder input. We are voluntary, consensus-based entities and strive for a balance of priorities across groups. We value all perspectives and believe the multi-stakeholder process- while difficult- brings the richest ideas and the most lasting support.
5. We work together to accelerate and scale innovation. Each member brings unique value to the table and can inform best practice. Through the NRHI network we can share those lessons for rapid dissemination and national impact.
The Network for Regional Healthcare Improvement was established in 2004 by seven Regional Health Improvement Collaboratives (RHICs):
- The California Cooperative Healthcare Reporting Initiative
- The California Quality Collaborative
- The Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement
- Massachusetts Health Quality Partners
- Minnesota Community Measurement
- The Pittsburgh Regional Health Initiative
- The Wisconsin Collaborative for Healthcare Quality
These RHICs recognized a need for a national membership organization to support regional efforts by:
- Increasing policy-maker and healthcare professional awareness of the key role that RHICs play
- Providing technical assistance to RHICs to address specific challenges they face
- Facilitating RHICs’ ability to share practical knowledge that they develop so they can help others improve
- Assisting additional communities to establish RHICs
- Encouraging the development and implementation of healthcare payment systems, benefit designs, and regulatory structures at the federal, state, and local levels, which lead to population health improvement and higher-value healthcare