The Network for Regional Healthcare Improvement (NRHI) is a national organization representing more than 30 member Regional Health Improvement Collaboratives (RHICs) and state/regional affiliated partners. These multi-stakeholder organizations are working in their regions and collaborating across regions to transform the healthcare delivery system and achieve the Triple Aim: improving the patient experience of care, including quality and satisfaction; improving the health of populations; and reducing the per-capita cost of healthcare. The RHICs are accomplishing this transformation by working directly with physicians and other healthcare providers, provider organizations, commercial and government payers, employers, consumers, and other healthcare-related organizations. Both NRHI and its members are non-profit, non-governmental organizations.
Our mission is to improve health and healthcare in communities across the U.S. through an active and engaged network of Regional Health Improvement Collaboratives (RHICs).
Our strategy is three-fold:
- Support and advocate for Collaboratives
- Conduct joint Innovation Projects in cost, quality and population health across regions with rapid dissemination of best practices to our members
- Leverage our network of data, community relationships and improvement expertise for innovation and national impact
NRHI was established in 2004 by seven Regional Health Improvement Collaboratives:
- The California Cooperative Healthcare Reporting Initiative
- The California Quality Collaborative
- The Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement
- Massachusetts Health Quality Partners
- Minnesota Community Measurement
- The Pittsburgh Regional Health Initiative
- The Wisconsin Collaborative for Healthcare Quality
Their work is directed through NRHI’s Guiding Principles.
These Collaboratives recognized a need for a national membership organization to support RHIC efforts by:
- Increasing policy-maker and healthcare professional awareness of the key role that RHICs play
- Providing technical assistance to RHICs to address specific challenges they face
- Facilitating RHICs’ ability to share practical knowledge that they develop so they can help all Collaboratives improve
- Assisting additional communities to establish RHICs
- Encouraging the development and implementation of healthcare payment systems, benefit designs and regulatory structures at the federal, state and local levels, which improve population health and higher-value healthcare
From its office in Portland, Maine and with its team of expert consultants and partners, NRHI provides unique education and support to its members, facilitates active learning across the network, and promotes the role of RHICs in national healthcare transformation efforts.