- The kinds of standards health insurance plans and other payers should demand of primary care practices in order to provide improved payments;
- The number of cost/quality tiers into which providers should be grouped;
- The magnitude of the payment differences for consumers choosing providers in different tiers;
- The reporting requirements providers should be expected to meet in order to protect patients; and
- The types of assistance that hospitals and small physician practices should be given to help transition to new payment systems.
Upcoming reports in the NRHI Payment Reform Series include:
- Creating incentives for consumers to use higher-value providers and services; and
- The important role that regional healthcare collaboratives must play in implementing payment reform.
Thanks to generous support from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, NRHI issued a series of reports on issues related to healthcare payment reform written by Harold Miller.